Definition of morris dance in English:
A lively traditional English dance performed out of doors by groups known as ‘sides’. Dancers wear a distinctive costume that is mainly black and white and has small bells attached, and often carry handkerchiefs or sticks.
- George and the Dragon was played all over the country by bands of mummers, who would blacken their faces with soot and wear animal masks and ragged costumes - some morris dance groups echo these once-pagan traditions today.
- Sharp went on to devote most of the rest of his life to compiling morris dances and tunes.
- There was a serene feel to the festival on Sunday when 300 people gathered in the morning for a multi-faith service of songs of praise followed by a morris dance display.
late Middle English: morris from morys, variant of Moorish (see Moor); the association with the Moors remains unexplained.
morris dancer noun
- Example sentences
- Among the entertainments on offer were a Punch and Judy show and displays by morris dancers, majorettes, and judo and aikido displays.
- Anyone interested in joining the procession of decorated wagons, morris dancers, bands and queens will be welcome, including walkers and vintage vehicles.
- Performances by morris dancers and the fair will start at 11 am.
morris dancing noun
- Example sentences
- There was maypole dancing and morris dancing provided by the Jockey Mens Morris Team.
- There will be live music, including folk, jazz and blues, as well as morris dancing.
- According to John the popularity of morris dancing has ebbed and flowed through the years and was on the verge of extinction until the timely intervention of one Cecil Sharp on Boxing Day 1899.
Definition of morris dance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan