- A Muslim place of worship.More example sentences
- The Imams in our mosques give sermons on so many issues, but never touch upon this topic of dowry.
- One of the best shots in the film is of a church spire which pans up to reveal the minaret of the mosque just behind.
- From the top, we can see mosques, churches and synagogues and graveyard after graveyard.
Mosques consist of an area reserved for communal prayers, frequently in a domed building with a minaret, and with a niche (mihrab) or other structure indicating the direction of Mecca. There may also be a platform for preaching (minbar), and an adjacent courtyard in which water is provided for the obligatory ablutions before prayer
late Middle English: from French mosquée, via Italian and Spanish from Egyptian Arabic masgid.
More definitions of mosqueDefinition of mosque in:
- The US English dictionary