Definition of mother lode in English:
1A principal vein of an ore or mineral.
- Based in Walnut Creek and Lotus, Calif. - right by the mother lode that drew the forty-niners out West for the Gold Rush - the business seems isolated, deep in canyon country.
- Bettors look at statistics, angling for some play, some pattern, or a factor someone might have overlooked - much like a gold miner hoping someone's overlooked a nugget here and there or bypassed a mother lode.
- The California 49ers looked upstream hoping to find the mother lode, and that's exactly what they called the system of gold veins they discovered.
1.1A rich source of something: your portfolio holds a mother lode of opportunities
More example sentences
- ‘I think we hit the emotional mother lode when we met Keith,’ says Rubin.
- The mother lode was struck when the designers hit on a way to improve power management and increase battery life for cell phones and other portable electronics.
- While there have been revisions of Anthony's original insights, he certainly was the first to strike the mother lode.
Definition of mother lode in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan