- A smooth shining iridescent substance forming the inner layer of the shell of some molluscs, especially oysters and abalones, used in ornamentation: mother-of-pearl buttonsMore example sentences
- Another category of vessels and flatware was distinguished by the use of precious stones or exotic materials, such as coral, mother-of-pearl, or coconut shell.
- The red cloth was then edged with rows of iridescent mother-of-pearl buttons.
- ‘They have used some beautiful mother-of-pearl and glass buttons for men's coats and waistcoats,’ said Lucy.
More definitions of mother-of-pearlDefinition of mother-of-pearl in:
- The US English dictionary