1The energy (in the form of steam, electricity, etc.) used to drive machinery.
- The alternative choice of steam or electricity motive power would still have created serious, albeit different, environmental problems today.
- Galt is an engineer whose miracle is a machine that converts static electricity in the atmosphere into motive power, thus giving mankind unlimited, cheap and environmentally-healthy energy.
- Smith introduced reinforced concrete in structures and replaced the customary steam engine driving the main shaft with separate electric motors to furnish motive power for milling ores.
1.1The locomotives of a railway system collectively.
- The new locomotive house and motive power handling facilities form the main part of the new terminals.
- With the demand high for motive power nationwide, several new firms got into the locomotive leasing business.
- These were built at Angus Shops, at a time long after the C.P.R. had turned to outside locomotive builders for all of its motive power.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mo¦tive power
Definition of motive power in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.