Definition of motive power in English:
1The energy (in the form of steam, electricity, etc.) used to drive machinery.
- The alternative choice of steam or electricity motive power would still have created serious, albeit different, environmental problems today.
- Galt is an engineer whose miracle is a machine that converts static electricity in the atmosphere into motive power, thus giving mankind unlimited, cheap and environmentally-healthy energy.
- Smith introduced reinforced concrete in structures and replaced the customary steam engine driving the main shaft with separate electric motors to furnish motive power for milling ores.
1.1The locomotives of a railway system collectively.
- The new locomotive house and motive power handling facilities form the main part of the new terminals.
- With the demand high for motive power nationwide, several new firms got into the locomotive leasing business.
- These were built at Angus Shops, at a time long after the C.P.R. had turned to outside locomotive builders for all of its motive power.
Definition of motive power in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan