- A mound forming the site of a castle or camp.More example sentences
- Modern steps curve up the side of the motte (the castle mound), one of the largest in the country.
- The Norman castle motte known as Twt Hill probably overlies the site of the palace constructed by Llywelyn ap Seisyll in 1015.
- That Edward's fortress incorporated the motte of an earlier Norman castle indicates that here castle-building actually signified a re-conquest of territory.
late 19th century: from French, 'mound', from Old French mote (see moat).
More definitions of motteDefinition of motte in:
- The US English dictionary