noun (plural motu proprios)
- An edict issued by the Pope personally to the Roman Catholic Church or to a part of it.More example sentences
- Almost all the motu proprios are incomplete, even the encyclicals.
- First, if you are among that marginal group of Catholics who understand the significance of the motu proprio and are grateful for it, write to thank our Holy Father for it.
- What with all the rumored motu proprios waiting in the wings, I have a feeling this Pope is about to disappoint some significant numbers of Catholics in any case.
Latin, literally 'of one's own volition'.
More definitions of motu proprioDefinition of motu proprio in:
- The US English dictionary