Definition of mountain ash in English:
1A small deciduous tree of the rose family, with compound leaves, white flowers, and red berries. Compare with rowan.
- These trees, including many varieties of crabapple, hawthorn, pear, mountain ash, flowering quince and pyracantha, should be pruned during the dormant season.
- Many a Scots family planted mountain ash, a tree with brilliant red-orange berries, at its door to keep the witches and fairies away.
- It's hard to think of autumn and winter berries without thinking of the mountain ash, or rowan tree.
2Australian A eucalyptus tree that is grown for timber.
- Genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae: several species, in particular the very tall E. regnans
- Now what about the tallest trees, because I believe the tallest one ever measured in Australia was a eucalyptus regnans, or a mountain ash, in Victoria.
- David Lindenmeyer raises a very interesting point that the mountain ash forests in Australia, in Victoria and Tasmania, are the best carbon sinks of any forests in the world, which is quite interesting.
- The Jurassic grandeur of the Otway National Park soon enfolded the road, the car, and much of the daylight, within a leafy tunnel of mountain ash, gum, beech and ferns.
Definition of mountain ash in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.