Definition of mountain ash in English:
1A small deciduous tree of the rose family, with compound leaves, white flowers, and red berries. Compare with rowan.
- These trees, including many varieties of crabapple, hawthorn, pear, mountain ash, flowering quince and pyracantha, should be pruned during the dormant season.
- Many a Scots family planted mountain ash, a tree with brilliant red-orange berries, at its door to keep the witches and fairies away.
- It's hard to think of autumn and winter berries without thinking of the mountain ash, or rowan tree.
2Australian A eucalyptus tree that is grown for timber.
- Now what about the tallest trees, because I believe the tallest one ever measured in Australia was a eucalyptus regnans, or a mountain ash, in Victoria.
- David Lindenmeyer raises a very interesting point that the mountain ash forests in Australia, in Victoria and Tasmania, are the best carbon sinks of any forests in the world, which is quite interesting.
- The Jurassic grandeur of the Otway National Park soon enfolded the road, the car, and much of the daylight, within a leafy tunnel of mountain ash, gum, beech and ferns.
Definition of mountain ash in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan