Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of mountain cranberry in English:
noun (plural mountain cranberries)
1A low-growing evergreen dwarf shrub of the heath family that bears dark red berries and grows in upland habitats in the north. Also called cowberry, lingonberry.
- Vaccinium vitis-idaea, family Ericaceae
- Wet meadows have abundant grasses, sedges, and rushes, while low-growing shrubs include black crowberry, mountain cranberry, shrubby cinquefoil, and three dwarf willows.
- The latter, which replaces it in the more northerly regions and at higher altitudes, can be termed mountain cranberry, or foxberry.
- It grows in the same climate as the mountain cranberry and grows all over Canada, Europe and Northern Asia.
1.1The edible acid berry of the mountain cranberry plant, which may be used as a cranberry substitute.
- Wild lingonberries are also called mountain cranberries and partridgeberries.
- The juice from mountain cranberries is recognized as having the highest content of natural proanthocyanidins.
- Remember to look for blueberries and mountain cranberries in mid to late summer, especially off the beaten path.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.