- A hare whose coat turns white in winter, found in upland and arctic areas of northern Eurasia. It is the only hare in Ireland. Also called blue hare.
More example sentences
- Lepus timidus, family Leporidae
- The fear is that many young ground nesting birds, such as the curlew and grouse, and mammals like the mountain hare leverets, will have been killed and damage done to the whole biodiversity of the moor.
- Rises in the numbers of sheep, deer and mountain hares have also been blamed for the increase.
- Had we allowed ourselves longer, we might have seen more - mountain hares, weasels, wildcats, ptarmigan and golden eagles can all be found in the Highlands.