- A downy substance obtained from the dried leaves of an Asian plant related to mugwort. It is burnt on or near the skin in Eastern medicine as a counterirritant.
More example sentences
- The plant is Crossostephium artemisioides, family Compositae
- Moxibustion, the burning of the herb moxa over channel points and certain areas of the body, is used to warm, tonify and stimulate.
- The effects of shiatsu, acupuncture, moxa, and herbal medicine are still questioned in Japan because they seem to depend upon the individual and are very difficult to replicate or to validate scientifically.
- Although it can be made from a variety of herbs, moxa is generally made from the mugwort plant.
late 17th century: from Japanese mogusa, from moe kusa 'burning herb'.
More definitions of moxaDefinition of moxa in:
- The US English dictionary