noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A glycoprotein constituent of mucus: mucin is secreted by the salivary glandsMore example sentences
- Most of the organic material in saliva is protein, some of which is glycoprotein or mucin, which contains both carbohydrate and protein components.
- The best example of such a gel is mammalian mucus, which is based on the glycoprotein mucin.
- Although more than 95% of the airway secretion consists of water, the main glycoprotein contained in the airway secretion is mucin.
More definitions of mucinDefinition of mucin in:
- The US English dictionary