Definition of mucus in English:
1A slimy substance, typically not miscible with water, secreted by the mucous membranes and glands of animals for lubrication, protection, etc.
- The conjunctiva contains thousands of cells that produce mucus and tiny glands that produce tears.
- It is spread by contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person.
- Physiotherapy helps clear the thick, sticky mucus from the lungs.
1.1A gummy substance found in plants; mucilage.
- The tube feet, arranged in groups of three on the pinnules, are coated with mucus that ensnares the prey.
- This plant secretes mucus from a stalk.
- Mucus produced by the plant provides temporary and effective protection from petroleum damage.
mid 17th century: from Latin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan