- 1A slimy substance, typically not miscible with water, secreted by the mucous membranes and glands of animals for lubrication, protection, etc..More example sentences
- The conjunctiva contains thousands of cells that produce mucus and tiny glands that produce tears.
- It is spread by contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person.
- Physiotherapy helps clear the thick, sticky mucus from the lungs.
- 1.1A gummy substance found in plants; mucilage.More example sentences
- The tube feet, arranged in groups of three on the pinnules, are coated with mucus that ensnares the prey.
- This plant secretes mucus from a stalk.
- Mucus produced by the plant provides temporary and effective protection from petroleum damage.
mid 17th century: from Latin.
More definitions of mucusDefinition of mucus in:
- The US English dictionary