- A bacterial skin infection which chiefly affects the lower legs of horses exposed to wet and muddy conditions, causing cracking and soreness of the skin and hair loss in the affected area.
More example sentences
- This condition is caused by the bacterium Dermatophilus congolensis
- If your horse has mud fever or is prone to mud fever, use these wraps overnight on returning from a day's hunting, or when you bring your horse in from the field of an evening, as they will dry the legs naturally.
- ‘Once mud fever is established, it is very difficult to cure,’ she said.
- One of the horses I had looked at but declined was a big flashy chestnut mare, who had nothing wrong with her, except bad feet, terrible mud fever and being terribly thin.