Archaic term for Muslim (not favoured by Muslims).
- But I have a problem with some of your panelists, because I don't think Christ was a Christian, I don't think Buddha was a Buddhist, and I don't think that Mohammed was a Mohammedan.
- Do you know that more than 30,000 temples were converted into mosques during Mohammedan rule?
- As long back as the 13th century she preached non-violence, simple living and high thinking and became thus Lalla Arifa for Muhammadans and Lalleshwari for Hindus.
For a discussion of the terms Muhammadan, Muslim, and Moslem, see Muslim (usage).
- Example sentences
- Earlier this century Muslims were often referred to as Muhammadans, the religion of Islam as Muhammadanism.
- After all: Christianity, Mohammedanism, Buddhism; they all teach mercy, they all teach, ‘Forgive your enemies.’
- The sanctuary was intended to be a ‘merger of notions from a variety of creeds including Mohammedanism and Buddhism’, he continued.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Mu¦ham|mad¦an
Definition of Muhammadan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.