- A large edible fast-swimming predatory fish of Australian coastal waters, which is popular with anglers. Also called jewfish.
More example sentences
- Johnius antarctica, family Sciaenidae
- The mulloway feeds voraciously on other fish, and is itself a favoured prey of human anglers.
- There's a local mulloway, they occur around the southern coast off South Australia.
- A recent release from NSW Fisheries indicated 70,000 mulloway fingerlings have been released into some NSW waterways.
mid 19th century: from Yaralde (an Aboriginal language of South Australia).
More definitions of mullowayDefinition of mulloway in:
- The US English dictionary