- 1An actor in a traditional masked mime or a mummers' play.More example sentences
- Originally they were mummers, performing traditional plays, and they then became known as waits, who would tour the town every evening before Christmas.
- Since the Living History Society rekindled the mummers tradition some five years ago the youngsters involved have gone from strength to strength as well as raise funds for various charities.
- While the traditional roles are not always filled by the same mummers, they have their favourites.
late Middle English: from Old French momeur, from momer 'act in a mime'; perhaps of Germanic origin.
More definitions of mummerDefinition of mummer in:
- The US English dictionary