A small marine killifish which lives along the sheltered shores and estuaries of eastern North America. It is widely kept in aquaria and is also used as bait and for biological research.
- Fundulus heteroclitus, family Cyprinodontidae (or Fundulidae)
More example sentences
- Juvenile mummichogs were captured in pit traps along with spotfin killifish in the high marsh at both Piermont Marsh and Ralph Creek.
- Common fish species in the area include Atlantic tomcod, mummichog, redfish, herring, silver hake, Greenland halibut, and the dangerously overfished northern cod.
- The latter group includes Atlantic silversides, M. menidia, capelin Mallotus villosus and the mummichog, F. heteroclitus.
late 18th century: from Narragansett moamitteaug.
Definition of mummichog in:
- The US English dictionary