noun (plural municipalities)
- 1A town or district that has local government: voters in each municipality choose between four candidatesMore example sentences
- In other words, it was hands-off to the province and certainly to the cities, towns and rural municipalities.
- The state should distribute some revenue to municipalities such as Pittsburgh.
- Districts in poor municipalities rely on property tax revenues supplemented by state aid to complete their local budgets.
- 1.1The governing body of a municipality: locally elected municipalitiesMore example sentences
- The provincial government and the municipality would do well to at least give the matter careful thought.
- It must now see to it that neither private sector nor government bodies such as municipalities violate the law.
- At the same time, the disempowerment of councilors and the municipality will have a long-term impact.
late 18th century: from French municipalité, from municipal (see municipal).