Definition of musk in English:
1 [mass noun] A strong-smelling reddish-brown substance which is secreted by the male musk deer for scent-marking and is an important ingredient in perfumery.
- The preference for this specific cologne may have something to do with one particular ingredient: musk.
- In China, these deer are now bred in captivity so that their musk can be harvested.
- Even the lightest, most flowery perfumes contain a trace of musk.
2 (also musk plant) A relative of the monkey flower, formerly cultivated for a musky fragrance which has been lost in the development of modern varieties.
- Genus Mimulus, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular M. moschatus
- With two-thirds of an acre to tend, I stopped growing high-maintenance hybrid teas and turned to rugosas and hybrid musks - they're much easier and very satisfying alternatives.
2.1Australian see musk tree.
Definition of musk in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India