- A large pike that occurs only in the Great Lakes region of North America. Also called maskinonge.
More example sentences
- Esox masquinongy, family Esocidae
- Predatory fish in the ecozone include the lake sturgeon, brook trout, lake trout, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, sauger, and walleye.
- A tiger muskie is a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike.
- Their close relative, the muskellunge, have scales covering only the upper half of their cheek and gill covers.
late 18th century: based on Ojibwa, 'great fish'.
More definitions of muskellungeDefinition of muskellunge in:
- The US English dictionary