Definition of muslin in English:
- Warm up the stock over a gentle heat, so it liquifies completely, then strain it carefully through muslin or a cotton cloth.
- Cover, steep for two hours, then strain through muslin cloth into a suitable watering can or plastic pump-spray bottle.
- Once upon a time, this area was famous for muslin cloth, which attracted the Dutch, who made it their colony in 1647.
Muslin means ‘cloth made in Mosul’ in Iraq. The place was called Mussolo in Italian and the cloth was called mussolina. This was adopted into French as mousseline (also used for a light sauce since the early 20th century) which in turn gave the English form.
- Example sentences
- The ringed spot is then held over the muslined spout just long enough to become moist, but not wet.
- He looked away and saw the bathroom, which, also well muslined, was completely open to the bedroom.
- Here are some photos of my muslined bodice.
Words that rhyme with muslinmullein • Dublin • dunlin
Definition of muslin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.