Definition of muti in English:
noun[mass noun] South African
1Traditional African medicine or magical charms.
- Poisoning of vultures for muti, as traditional medicines are called, has been going on for many years, he said.
- One South African newspaper has even used muti to attempt to counter low staff morale and flagging circulation.
- Although police have not confirmed that the killing was connected to muti, which just means medicine, the incident has had traditional healers scrambling to denounce the practice.
2 informal Medicine of any kind.
- Firstly, clinicians must be trained to obtain the first available urine specimen from a suspected case of poisoning and to collect also any available muti which has been taken.
- Brian, an epileptic who kept it under control provided he took his muti, left the Dispatch after a few more years and sadly died some time later when he suffered a serious fit.
- The pharmacist gave me a special muti for this.
From Zulu umuthi 'plant or medicine'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan