Definition of mutton in English:
The flesh of fully grown sheep used as food: a leg of mutton
More example sentences
- Beef, mutton, pork and venison were common meats, and communities close to the coast could expect to widen their diets with fish and shellfish.
- The dinner would consist of roast beef, roast mutton, roast pork, and vegetables, plum puddings, Christmas cake, and tea, and would be served to about 1,200 poor people.
- The document reveals that the bishop's menu would have included a range of meats, from mutton and beef to veal, geese, rabbit, duck and lamb.
(as) dead as mutton
- Quite dead.Example sentences
- Totally unsuccessful, because they are as dead as mutton.
- He was as dead as mutton by the time I'd got him out of the little beggar's paws.
- There have been numerous similar proverbial comparisons - dead as a mackerel, dead as mutton, dead as a herring, dead as stone - but this one, with its alliterative lilt, has survived longest.
mutton dressed as lamb
- British informal , derogatory A middle-aged or old woman dressed in a style suitable for a much younger woman.Example sentences
- He said: ‘You get to an age when you look like mutton dressed as lamb.’
- Dress your age, the article exhorted, and while the writer went on to say there were no longer any rules, the models were brooding over issues such as when a perky little miniskirt became mutton dressed as lamb.
- ‘She's far too old for that - she looks like mutton dressed as lamb,’ said one of my friends.
- Example sentences
- Surrounded as it is by cool temperatures, the tail can be home to a substantial slab of fat with a texture somewhat like bacon, though of course with a muttony aroma.
- Lamb karahi was cubes of lean almost muttony meat, tender but not invalid food soft, smothered in a rich red sauce.
- The taste of fish has been left behind in the stock, leaving an intense, dry muttony meat thronged with fugitive flavours that escape identification.
Definition of mutton in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan