Definition of myasthenia in English:
1A condition causing abnormal weakness of certain muscles.
- Louise suffers from osteoporosis and myasthenia, a muscle weakness which means she needs to sleep for about four hours after every riding lesson.
- Surgical removal of the thymus gland is performed in patients with a thymoma and can also help some other patients, especially those who develop myasthenia before the age of about 45.
- Unlike myasthenia, however, it is associated with improved strength with repeated muscle activity.
1.1 (in full myasthenia gravis /ˈɡrɑːvɪs, ˈɡravɪs/) A rare chronic autoimmune disease marked by muscular weakness without atrophy, and caused by a defect in the action of acetylcholine at neuromuscular junctions.
- It has been useful in treating autoimmune diseases such as myasthenia gravis.
- The drug was first approved by the FDA as a treatment for myasthenia gravis, a chronic neuromuscular disease.
- Congenital myasthenia gravis is rare and can be excluded by maternal and neonatal history.
Definition of myasthenia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia