Definition of myoclonus in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Spasmodic jerky contraction of groups of muscles.
- The acute effects are coma, myoclonus and bradycardia, which generally resolve rapidly without complication.
- In particular, there is potential for a neurotoxic metabolite, normeperidine, to accumulate and cause seizures, myoclonus and tremors.
- Reported neurological manifestations have included tremor, myoclonus, hyperreflexia, ankle clonus, muscle rigidity, ataxia and incoordination.
- Example sentences
- When the myoclonic jerks are unilateral, a more serious condition is often suspected and the diagnosis of benign sleep myoclonus may not be considered.
- Seizures are present in up to 25 percent of patients and may be generalized, focal, myoclonic jerking, or movement induced.
- During a juvenile myoclonic epileptic seizure, the hands, arms or whole body will start jerking, but the person doesn't lose consciousness or awareness.
Definition of myoclonus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan