Definition of myopathy in English:
noun (plural myopathies)Medicine
A disease of muscle tissue.
- Neuromuscular diseases are characterized by progressive weakening of skeletal, respiratory, bulbar, and, in the case of myopathies, cardiac muscles.
- The idiopathic inflammatory myopathies are a group of heterogeneous disorders characterised by acquired progressive muscle weakness and inflammatory infiltrates in skeletal muscle tissue.
- Exercise-induced muscle oxidative stress may be involved in the myopathy associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Example sentences
- His pathologic studies encompassed neurogenic and myopathic muscle disease, transverse myelitis, and multiple sclerosis.
- Most patients had a combination of myopathic features, such as weakness, pain, exercise intolerance, or hypotonia.
- The patient presents at birth or during the first year of life with generalized weakness and characteristic myopathic facies with several physical deformities.
Definition of myopathy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.