- 1Relating to mystics or religious mysticism: the mystical theology of Richard RolleMore example sentences
- At the core of all religious traditions is a mystical experience, an experience of unity, of oneness, with the divine.
- At the time, Micheal and I differed on certain fundamentals behind our work, especially in the area of religious and mystical experiences.
- In different ways, they've become disillusioned in respect of romantic love, have the rewards and consolations of religious and mystical experience and feel compelled to act responsibly.
- 1.1Having a spiritual symbolic or allegorical significance that transcends human understanding: the mystical body of ChristMore example sentences
- Taoism is a Chinese philosophical tradition that emphasizes the spiritual and mystical connection between human beings and nature.
- And that was considered to be something mystical and spiritual.
- There's also the mystical, spiritual side of Ayurveda, which sees all intelligence and wisdom as flowing from one source.
- 1.2Relating to ancient religious mysteries or other occult or esoteric rites: the mystical practices of the PythagoreansMore example sentences
- Together they unravel and expose the island's medicine woman who delves into the dark secrets of obeah, an ancient mystical practice similar to voodoo.
- To those on a quest for spiritual evolution or transformation, they promise entry into an esoteric world of ancient mystical wisdom.
- His interests were wide and many but by the turn of the century his main interests were esoteric, mystical, and occult.
- 1.3Of hidden or esoteric meaning: a geometric figure of mystical significanceMore example sentences
- Look, I appreciate that, in some deep mystical sociological sense, it was all our fault.
- Joyce himself believed the progress of his writing was, in some mystical sense, bound up with his daughter's illness.
- Through painting he sought to uncover mystical inner forces that animate nature.
- 2Inspiring a sense of spiritual mystery, awe, and fascination: the mystical city of KathmanduMore example sentences
- Trees as one of the oldest symbols of life have from the ancient period been associated with the mystical forces of nature.
- This someone or something is usually either God or the mystical forces of nature.
- I wonder if there is some sort of mystical force that compels me to be such a miserable bastard.
- 2.1Concerned with the soul or the spirit, rather than with material things: the beliefs of a more mystical ageMore example sentences
- According to the teachings of the world's major religions, this mystical soul, or spirit, somehow lives on after death.
- One thing this seems to imply is that that soul is not the mystical animating spirit of the person, so much as their conscience.
- Like parapsychology, intelligent design is a defense of the soul; it just emphasizes intelligence rather than a mystical consciousness.
- More example sentences
- ‘You would have to meet him to know,’ she answers rather mystically.
- They must indeed be mystically connected to me.
- The beginners look at it mystically, a title they hear about but cannot imagine holding.