Definition of mythos in English:
noun (plural mythoi ˈmɪθɔɪ)chiefly technical
1A myth or mythology: the Arthurian mythos
More example sentences
- Much of the traditional Arthurian mythos has simply been left out.
- In this unique, austere interpretation of the Arthurian mythos, there isn't a shot or a camera movement that doesn't represent thought - and love.
- The Vulcan of the Islamic mythos was named Jabr.
1.1A traditional or recurrent narrative theme or plot structure.
- This is the central mythos, the guiding narrative, of modernity of course.
- This is the mythos of tragedy, combined with a glorious transcendence of conflict.
- For Frye this meant that there were four archetypal plot modes, or mythoi, that characterized Western literature.
Mid 18th century: from Greek.
Definition of mythos in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.