Definition of mythos in English:
noun (plural mythoi /-θɔɪ/)chiefly technical
1A myth or mythology: the Arthurian mythos
More example sentences
- Much of the traditional Arthurian mythos has simply been left out.
- In this unique, austere interpretation of the Arthurian mythos, there isn't a shot or a camera movement that doesn't represent thought - and love.
- The Vulcan of the Islamic mythos was named Jabr.
1.1A traditional or recurrent narrative theme or plot structure.
- This is the central mythos, the guiding narrative, of modernity of course.
- This is the mythos of tragedy, combined with a glorious transcendence of conflict.
- For Frye this meant that there were four archetypal plot modes, or mythoi, that characterized Western literature.
mid 18th century: from Greek.
Definition of mythos in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia