Definition of nabob in English:
2A person of conspicuous wealth or high status.
- She is his insurance beneficiary; the rest of the nabob's once substantial wealth has mysteriously evaporated.
- Now that the series has been pencilled in for another 10 years, perhaps the GAA nabobs might consider giving the manager's job to the one man who deserves it the most.
- Or rather the network nabobs think they appreciate him, but he's crossed the pond twice to discuss a possible career-making TV deal, to no avail.
2.1 historical A person who returned from India to Europe with a fortune.
- Visram explains, ‘Indian servants were a symbol of the exalted status of the newly enriched India returned nabob.’
- This is nonetheless the India of economic potential, the place where the fortunes of adventurous nabobs were made.