(In Indian mythology) a member of a semi-divine race, part human, part cobra in form, associated with water and sometimes with mystical initiation.
- His canvasses have lustrous Buddhas, among nagas, dragons, animals and birds.
- Thus, the nagas, who in Buddhist mythology protected Buddha before his enlightenment by shooting down lightning bolts aimed at him, guard the sacred temple.
- Specially pertinent to this period is the image of Buddha seated on the mythological, multi-headed serpent or naga.
From Sanskrit nāga 'serpent'.
Words that rhyme with nagaAga, Braga, dagga, dargah, laager, lager, Onondaga, raga, saga
(In some Hindu sects) a naked wandering ascetic, in particular one belonging to a sect whose members carry arms and serve as mercenaries.
- The totally naked sadus are called nagas, and they are the most militant of the sect.
- The textiles of Indonesia have, across time, also incorporated and integrated Hindu's symbols such as the Garuda, the naga, the lotus, the elephant, the ‘mandala diagrams’ and so on.
- Beyond that, there are devas, nagas, higher categories of devas such as Brahma or Shiva, and so on.
From Hindi nāgā 'naked'.
1A member of a group of peoples living in or near the Naga Hills of Burma (Myanmar) and NE India.
- The Nagas lived in mountainous north-east India on the Myanmar border.
- We have seen it in India in the agreement between the Government and the Nagas.
- Many Nagas are said now to speak broken Assamese and Hindi.
Relating to the Nagas or their language.
- From the color of their sarongs and the way they wear their machetes in a shoulder scabbard, I know they are Naga tribesmen.
- While music may have always been part of Naga life, the state has recently witnessed a sudden growth of pop bands and folk music groups.
- The talks with Naga elders may be fraught with tension but attempts are being made by both sides to keep the dialogue going.
Perhaps from Sanskrit nagna 'naked' or naga 'mountain'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.