- (Of a fish or marine creature) swimming horizontally.More example sentences
- Badge for the Barony of the Far West - Gules, a dolphin embowed naiant argent through an annulet Or.
- Fish are in general naiant by default; the exception are the crustaceans, which are tergaint by default.
- Sometimes it is emblazoned naiant embowed where the fish forms an ‘arch’.
mid 16th century: from Anglo-Norman French, variant of Old French noiant 'swimming', present participle of noier, from Latin natare 'to swim'.
More definitions of naiantDefinition of naiant in:
- The US English dictionary