Definition of namaste in English:
A respectful greeting said when giving a namaskar.
- The waiter gives the usual response, ‘Namaste, namaste,’ his hands joined in silent prayer, his head bowed in traditional deference.
- The standard greeting in Fiji Hindi is ‘namaste’.
- The customary greeting is to press one's palms together in front of the chest and say ‘namaste’.
nounBack to top
another term for namaskar.
- The namaste gesture bespeaks our inner valuing of the sacredness of all.
- He stands listening quietly to another music of his own world, shyly doing a namaste or shaking hands and looking embarrassed if called upon to respond.
- In India or Thailand, the preferred greeting is not the handshake, but the namaste - hands with palms together under chin area (as if in prayer) with a slight bow of the head.
Definition of namaste in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan