- A respectful greeting said when giving a namaskar.More example sentences
- The waiter gives the usual response, ‘Namaste, namaste,’ his hands joined in silent prayer, his head bowed in traditional deference.
- The standard greeting in Fiji Hindi is ‘namaste’.
- The customary greeting is to press one's palms together in front of the chest and say ‘namaste’.
nounBack to top
- another term for namaskar.More example sentences
- The namaste gesture bespeaks our inner valuing of the sacredness of all.
- He stands listening quietly to another music of his own world, shyly doing a namaste or shaking hands and looking embarrassed if called upon to respond.
- In India or Thailand, the preferred greeting is not the handshake, but the namaste - hands with palms together under chin area (as if in prayer) with a slight bow of the head.
via Hindi from Sanskrit namas 'bowing' + te 'to you'.
More definitions of namasteDefinition of namaste in:
- The US English dictionary