- A public mention or listing of the name of a person or thing, especially in acknowledgement or for publicity purposes.More example sentences
- While we're in the Philly area, it keeps occurring to me that he seems to get a lot of namechecks yet I've never investigated his music.
- Oh - and if you hear anything you think I might like, I would love if you gave me a heads up, either through the gift of mp3 or simply a namecheck.
- If you know me and you want a namecheck too, just send me five crisp £10 notes in a sealed envelope and I'll do the rest.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Publicly mention or list the name of: he namechecks a legion of producers and DJsMore example sentences
- ‘In the 1960s everything that was coming out of the UK was considered as cool,’ he says, namechecking the first wave of Cool Britannia.
- He has pretensions to be a serious novelist but mostly confines himself to namechecking Nineteen Eighty-Four and Darkness At Noon.
- He was namechecking Russian writers in song lyrics.
More definitions of namecheckDefinition of namecheck in:
- The US English dictionary