Definition of namecheck in English:
A public mention or listing of the name of a person or thing, especially in acknowledgement or for publicity purposes.
- While we're in the Philly area, it keeps occurring to me that he seems to get a lot of namechecks yet I've never investigated his music.
- Oh - and if you hear anything you think I might like, I would love if you gave me a heads up, either through the gift of mp3 or simply a namecheck.
- If you know me and you want a namecheck too, just send me five crisp £10 notes in a sealed envelope and I'll do the rest.
verb[with object] Back to top
Publicly mention or list the name of: he namechecks a legion of producers and DJs
More example sentences
- ‘In the 1960s everything that was coming out of the UK was considered as cool,’ he says, namechecking the first wave of Cool Britannia.
- He has pretensions to be a serious novelist but mostly confines himself to namechecking Nineteen Eighty-Four and Darkness At Noon.
- He was namechecking Russian writers in song lyrics.
Definition of namecheck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia