- A person or thing that has the same name as another: Hugh Capet paved the way for his son and namesake to be crowned king of France unlike its Scottish namesake, Leven is not by the seaMore example sentences
- The similarities between the two namesakes are eerie.
- Unlike their high street namesakes however, fund supermarkets are not always so hot on choice or price.
- Unlike her Biblical namesake, Maria sees very little evidence of God's grace.
mid 17th century: from the phrase for the name's sake.
More definitions of namesakeDefinition of namesake in:
- The US English dictionary