noun[mass noun] Biology
- Very small unicellular plankton, at the limits of resolution of light microscopy.More example sentences
- Calcareous nannoplankton, although stimulated toward diversification, was obviously less efficient in calcification.
- Various other occurrences of calcareous nannoplankton, dinocysts and mammals help to correlate relevant units in the three NW European basins.
- Calcareous nannoplankton is proven to react significantly to changes in environmental conditions, such as surface water temperature, nutrient availability and/or salinity.
early 20th century: from German, from Greek nanos 'dwarf' + plankton.
More definitions of nanoplanktonDefinition of nanoplankton in:
- The US English dictionary