noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A volatile white crystalline compound produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
- The raw materials for today's dyes are mainly aromatic hydrocarbons: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, anthracene, pyrene, and others.
- Common aromatic compounds other than benzene include toluene, naphthalene, and anthracene, all of which are present in coal tar or creosote.
- In one method, naphthalene is oxidized with vanadium pentoxide to give phthalic anhydride.
- Example sentences
- The anhydride of naphthalic acid was identified as a urinary metabolite in rats treated orally with acenaphthene.
- Single crystals of poly (naphthalic anhydride) have been grown using our confined thin film melt polymerization technique.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: naph¦tha|lene
Definition of naphthalene in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.