Definition of naphthene in English:
Any of a group of cyclic aliphatic hydrocarbons (e.g. cyclohexane) obtained from petroleum.
- Most horticultural oils contain naphthene and paraffin compounds.
- Since ethylenediamine is very polar, naphthenes are preferentially permeated to the solvent side.
- Oils high in naphthene also contain more impurities such as phytotoxic aromatic and unsaturated hydrocarbons.
- Example sentences
- These are complex mixtures of paraffinic, aromatics and naphthenic hydrocarbon type molecules, ranging in carbon number from 14 to 40 +.
- The results given in Figure 3 show that the oil separation is lower for the naphthenic based grease.
- The different factors responsible for naphthenic corrosion as well as the ways of fighting it are reviewed.
Definition of naphthene in:
- US English dictionary