Definition of naphthene in English:
Any of a group of cyclic aliphatic hydrocarbons (e.g. cyclohexane) obtained from petroleum.
- Most horticultural oils contain naphthene and paraffin compounds.
- Since ethylenediamine is very polar, naphthenes are preferentially permeated to the solvent side.
- Oils high in naphthene also contain more impurities such as phytotoxic aromatic and unsaturated hydrocarbons.
- Example sentences
- These are complex mixtures of paraffinic, aromatics and naphthenic hydrocarbon type molecules, ranging in carbon number from 14 to 40 +.
- The results given in Figure 3 show that the oil separation is lower for the naphthenic based grease.
- The different factors responsible for naphthenic corrosion as well as the ways of fighting it are reviewed.
Definition of naphthene in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan