noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A state of stupor, drowsiness, or unconsciousness produced by drugs: the patient was treated in prone position without narcosis See also nitrogen narcosis.More example sentences
- Once you begin on the slippery slope of hypothermia, secondary problems such as narcosis and decompression sickness begin to increase drastically.
- One possibility is that CO2 narcosis impaired cognitive function.
- Prolonged narcosis was introduced in the 1920s.
late 17th century: from Greek narkōsis, from narkoun 'make numb'.
More definitions of narcosisDefinition of narcosis in:
- The US English dictionary