noun (singular naris)Anatomy & Zoology
- The nostrils.More example sentences
- The lips, nares, anus, and fin membranes, by comparison, are white (with few melanophores along the edges of the fin rays).
- However, the use of nares (like nostrils, located on the top of the head) to detect pheromones is probably the most important type of chemoreception in fishes.
- The location (distance from the nares / incisors), length and resting pressure should be recorded.
- More example sentences
- The crown from narial feathers to nape is uniform dark brown, the feathers with slightly darker tips.
- Another odd characteristic of beavers is that their epiglottis lies above the soft palate, within the narial passage.
- In most cases some or all of the bone lies below the level of the dermal surface bones and inside the narial opening.
late 17th century: plural of Latin naris 'nostril, nose'.
More definitions of naresDefinition of nares in:
- The US English dictionary