- An oriental tobacco pipe with a long tube that draws the smoke through water; a hookah.More example sentences
- Velvet bellows, cushions, muskets, plates, microtonic music plus narghiles or hookahs for a post-prandial smoke of tobacco sweetened with such agents as rose essence.
- Friday was also the day my artist friends gathered in a dirty teahouse where, for 1,500 dinar, you can purchase a glass of bitter lemon tea, rent a narghile (water pipe), and sit for hours.
- They sit together and chew qat leaves (a mild narcotic) and smoke the narghile, or water-pipe.
mid 18th century: from Persian nārgīl 'coconut, hookah', from Sanskrit nārikela 'coconut'.
More definitions of narghileDefinition of narghile in:
- The US English dictionary