The upper part of the pharynx, connecting with the nasal cavity above the soft palate.
- Mucous membrane involvement is common, primarily of the oral mucosa and conjunctiva, but may also include the nasopharynx, larynx, esophagus, genitalia, and rectal mucosa.
- After pre-operative embolisation, the tumour was resected from the infratemporal and pterygopalatine fossae, sphenoid sinus, nasopharynx, nasal cavity and maxillary antrum.
- The conducting portion of the respiratory system includes the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, larynx, trachea, and bronchi.
- Example sentences
- The rate of temperature change was slower at the bladder site than at the esophageal and nasopharyngeal sites but faster than the rectal site.
- Structures adjacent to the nasopharynx, such as nerves and vessels, facilitate the infiltration of nasopharyngeal cancer through foramina and fissures, from extracranial to intracranial spaces.
- The biopsy specimens from the 2 cases consisted of nasopharyngeal stromal tissue extensively infiltrated by tumor with no discernible continuity with the overlying ciliated mucosal lining.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: naso|phar¦ynx
Definition of nasopharynx in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.