Entry from US English dictionary
More definitions of National RoadDefinition of National Road in:
- The US English dictionary
- (In South Africa) any of a network of major intercity roads: the old national road tells you you are going somewhere importantMore example sentences
- The deputy director in the Department of Transport warned: ‘We are armed with a programme of roadblocks on all the major national roads.’
- The improvements of this section of the N1 will ultimately benefit road users, says a statement by the National Roads Agency, and is an intervention by Sanral to preserve South Africa's national roads.
- As I recall, it was introduced by PW Botha to pay for the maintenance and improvement of the national roads network, but was diverted straight into the defence budget.