- A period of compulsory service in the armed forces during peacetime (phased out in the UK by 1963).More example sentences
- Like most private boys' schools in Britain, St. Albans School maintains a schoolboy army, the original aim of which was to prepare young men for national service.
- But they were not liable to national service under the National Service Act, if that were to be reactivated.
- He argues for serious consideration of a compulsory form of national service for American youth, including civilian as well as military service.
More definitions of national serviceDefinition of national service in:
- The US English dictionary