- 1A person who advocates political independence for a country: a Scottish nationalistMore example sentences
- That federation was opposed by nationalists who advocated political freedom from British rule.
- Most of the opposition parties are involved in the committee, including the communists, socialists and nationalists.
- Broad Front is a left coalition made up of socialists, Communists and nationalists.
- 1.1A person with strong patriotic feelings, especially one who believes in the superiority of their country over others.More example sentences
- During World War One, Stresemann, like the vast majority of Germans, had been a strong nationalist.
- He was a fervent French nationalist and a strong leader, a man who took on the United States and Britain.
- She started out as an emotional nationalist, full of passion and patriotism.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to nationalists or nationalism: a nationalist movementMore example sentences
- In so far as they still clung to socialist phraseology, it was simply to give their nationalist programme a more acceptable cover.
- Why did a petty-bourgeois nationalist outlook gain ascendancy?
- In the case of glacial Super-Finland, the political relevance seems to be rather rightist, romantic and nationalist.
More definitions of nationalistDefinition of nationalist in:
- The US English dictionary