- A moorhen found in Australia, with mainly dark plumage and a greenish bill. Also called waterhen or gallinule.
More example sentences
- Genus Gallinula, family Rallidae: G. ventralis of Australia and G. mortierii of Tasmania
- The Tasmanian native hen is a flightless rail endemic to Tasmania, which exhibits frequent mate sharing by males and occasional joint nesting by females.
- In addition, juvenile native hens assist with the raising and protection of their brothers and sisters.
- Now endemic to Tasmania, the native hen once occupied large areas of southeastern Australia.