Definition of nativism in English:
1The theory that concepts, mental capacities, and mental structures are innate rather than acquired by learning.
- But history leads me to agree with the author that nativism and racism are powerful populist impulses pretty much everywhere.
- He initiates the central skirmish of this book by tracing a dividing line between Chomsky's nativism and the so-called New Synthesis Psychology.
2chiefly US The policy of protecting the interests of native-born or established inhabitants against those of immigrants.
- Nineteenth-century common-school advocates combined a desire for creating a liberal democratic citizenry with xenophobia, anti-Catholicism, and nativism.
- Nonetheless, this era had the same conflicts (over cultural diversity and nativism, for example) as later periods, and established lasting policies toward immigrants and aliens.
- There will be a spasm of nativism and anti-immigrant feelings that we have not seen in a long time.
nativist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- But such talk inflamed nativists, and they and their Catholic foes were juggled by the various political parties from mid-century onward.
- The immigrant-bashing nativists will battle the free marketeers.
- We see echoes of this perspective in the writings of Noam Chomsky and Jerry Fodor, self-identified nativists.
- Example sentences
- The white slave panic of 1909-10 provoked an even more irrational and nativistic wave of government intrusiveness.
- Their nativistic posture that the ‘indigenous peoples put themselves on the map’ would erase the essential role of the researcher through their politicized rhetoric.
- Such antipathy, especially toward strong forms of bilingual education, is rooted in nativistic and melting pot ideologies that tend to demonize the ‘other.’
Definition of nativism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan