(usually natural sciences)
1A branch of science which deals with the physical world, e.g. physics, chemistry, geology, biology.
- In the natural sciences, biology and geology should be emphasized.
- The first is a scientific encyclopaedia covering logic, natural sciences, psychology, geometry, astronomy, arithmetic and music.
- In addition, all institutions have freshman introductory courses both in natural sciences and social sciences.
1.1The branch of knowledge which deals with the study of the physical world.
- Hence, physical or natural science is the study of material bodies that undergo change and are either in motion or repose.
- He won an open scholarship in mathematics and natural science to study at Trinity College, Cambridge.
- It is characteristic of him that his decision to study natural science and medicine was determined not so much by his reading as by his dreams.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: nat|ural sci|ence
Definition of natural science in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.