Definition of navel in English:
1A rounded knotty depression in the centre of a person’s belly caused by the detachment of the umbilical cord after birth; the umbilicus.
- Abdominal examination revealed a large scar from the navel downwards.
- The child may have low back pain, stomach pain below the navel, or a long-lasting fever.
- An umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestine protrudes through a weakness in the abdominal wall at the navel.
1.1The central point of a place: the Incas saw Cuzco as the navel of the world
More example sentences
- Such men must be honoured and respected, lest chaos engulf the navel of the world yet again.
- Delphi was no longer the navel of the Greek world, acknowledged point of reference for the competing states.
- They named the place Cuzco, " the navel of the world, " and the Inca nation was born.
contemplate one's navel
- Spend time complacently considering oneself or one’s interests at the expense of a wider view: the Post Office cannot stop the world while the unions contemplate their navelsMore example sentences
- This is a famous soup from the Fujian Province, whose aroma was said to be so alluring that a meditating monk would abandon contemplating his navel and jump over the wall to indulge!
- The yogi contemplating his navel often figures for Westerners as an object of amusement, being taken as a symptom of indolence or narcissistic self-absorption.
- He came from High Times magazine, where he sat around and played video games and contemplated his navel.
Words that rhyme with navelnaval
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan