1A native governor during the time of the Mogul empire: [as title]: Nawab Haider Beg
More example sentences
- And their power-crazed heads obviously long to wear a crown, which is why they behave like old-style nawabs and potentates.
- Governors of the Mughal empire also took advantage of growing feebleness - the nawabs of Bengal, Oudh and Hyderabad were soon to establish quasi-independent states which owed only nominal allegiance to Delhi.
- This right was bestowed on us by emperors, rajas and nawabs (local rulers and influentials in the undivided Indian subcontinent).
1.1A Muslim nobleman or person of high status.
- Made famous by the Muslim nawabs of Lucknow, those on the receiving end enjoyed courtesy, food, drink and congeniality - all served with an elegant world-class flourish.
- A Dacca barrister teased him for behaving more like a once-rich Muslim nawab wedded to a fanciful past and visions of lost glory than an educated, middle-class Hindu lawyer.
- Ghazal singing, earlier an art form restricted to the nawabs and aristocrats, was bought to the people by Begum Akhtar and later popularised by Pankaj Udhas.
Words that rhyme with nawabbarb, carb, garb, hijab, Punjab, sahib
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: nawab
Definition of nawab in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.